Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

Grid bind from javascript Options
SteveClements
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2008 7:14:39 AM
Groups: Member

I have a multiview with about 6 grids on each page...switching pageviews is taking about 10-15 secs, which of course is painfully slow.

Does anyone know how to bind data to an EO grid from javascript? (I will be getting data from a web service, probably actually a WCF service).

Thx
eo_support
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2008 7:19:18 AM
Groups: Administration

Hi,

One thing that you can try is to use the Grid in callback mode. That's the closest to client binding. You will need to put the Grid in a Web Form and then call that webservice from your Web Form. The performance issue is mostly has to do with the size of your Grid (specifically number of rows and columns), so I am not sure whether that will address the performance issue though.

Thanks
SteveClements
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2008 7:24:35 AM
Groups: Member

Thx, I will look at the example and see how i get on.

I appreciate that I have to bind the data and the size of that will never change...but I am thinking if i do it from the client, at least they can look at one grid while I bind another in the background...just make the UI a little snappier really.
eo_support
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2008 7:35:33 AM
Groups: Administration

Hi,

Based on our experience this most of the time causes more trouble than it solves. Unlike server side coding, there is no way to precisely control how and when JavaScript code is run and synchronize it with other events. So you will often run into timing issues that you have no control over.

While the size of the data will never change, the amount that you present to the user can change. For example, instead of displaying 1000 record all together, you can display them in 40 pages with each page having 25 records. That should speed up things considerably.

Thanks