Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

Uploader Demo - standard web-browser progress bar fails to clear Options
ppages
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 11:28:50 AM
Groups: Member

I downloaded and installed your demo package and started attempting to upload files, and here is what happens: the upload appears to complete - the control's progress bar disappears and the 3 files are in the upload directory - however, progress begins to be indicated on the web-brower progress bar: it slowly gets to 4 or 5 rectangles, and then just stays there indefinitely. I can still select and upload another file, after which the browser-progress-bar disappears and everything is hunky-dory. The browser-progress-bar appears (and hangs) on every odd upload (1, 3, 5, 7, etc) and then is cleared on the even upload. I am using IE7 on Windows XP.

thanks,

Pete
eo_support
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 11:49:33 AM
Groups: Administration

Hi,

Please check your IIS settings and other modules in your application by following steps outlined in this page:

http://www.essentialobjects.com/ViewDoc.aspx?t=AJAXUploader%2ftroubleshoot.html

Both can cause problems with the uploader. To verify whether those are the cause of the problem, you can run our demo application from inside Visual Studio. Make sure Visual Studio uses its built-in development web server instead of IIS.

Hope this helps.

Thanks!
ppages
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 12:11:52 PM

I'm running your website - w/out modification - in VS 2008 using the built-in web server, so it appears that none of the items mentioned in the troubleshooting link apply - other ideas?

thanks,

Pete
eo_support
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 12:38:22 PM

Hi,

We are not sure what else can cause that rather than IE malfunctioning. We have had multiple cases where our app would not work correctly on IE 7 because IE 7 incorrectly reports itself as IE 6. To verify whether this is the problem, you can put the following JavaScript in your page:

Code: JavaScript
window.alert(navigator.userAgent);

From our past experience, some third party IE extensions, especially some specifically created as "developer helpers" that examine/browse DOM elements can also cause mysterious problems. So you may also want to try browse the page with all add-ons/extension disabled or simply try browse it from another page.

If none of those reveals anything, we can setup an online meeting to take a look (via remote screen sharing) and see if we can find anything if that is OK with you. If you would not like to do that, you may want to try it from another machine and see if it works differently.

Thanks!
ppages
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 2:44:15 PM

Have done the following:

1) verified IE7 correctly reporting
2) repro'd problem on another PC w/ all browser options disabled
3) run the upload w/ no problem using FireFox on my PC

I'm thinking it may be a browser setting on IE - any ideas?

Also, I'm perfectly willing to work w/ you looking at my screen remotely - anytime after 9am EST tomorrow (Thursday) w/b good - earlier the better.

thanks,

Pete
ppages
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 2:52:08 PM

One more thing: could it have anything to do with the temporary-license reminder that shows at the very top of the page on occasion, that tells you to refresh the page?
eo_support
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 3:00:38 PM

Hi,

We will be happy to take a look of tomorrow. It should not have anything to do with the license reminder. If that was the problem, you would have seen the same problem in FireFox.

Thanks!
ppages
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2009 6:07:39 AM

I'm ready when you are - how do we get started?
eo_support
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2009 6:13:47 AM

Hi,

We have sent you the meeting link via private message. You can click "Inbox" on the top of the forum to view the message.

Thanks!
eo_support
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2009 9:49:30 AM

Hi,

We have posted a new build that should address this issue. Please see your private message for download location.

Thanks!
ppages
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2009 11:10:01 AM

The new build appears to solve that problem. Am curious to know how you did it - I was unable to make the iframe solution work, but had come up w/ a workaround that involved sticking the Uploader control in an UpdatePanel with a hidden asp:button and then clicking the button in the ClientSideOnDone handler. My only concern about that solution was that it *did* necessitate another roundtrip to the server, as well as an UpdatePanel update.
eo_support
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2009 11:20:35 AM

I believe we use the iframe solution as well. The difference might be the timing --- since we have access to the uploader's source code, so we can plug it into exactly where it needs to be, where as you can only rely on a few very limited public interface so the code may have not been called at the right time.

Using UpdatePanel is a very smart solution, even though it is no longer needed. :)

Thank you very much for helping us to make our product better! Please feel free to let us know if you have any more questions.