Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

ASP.NET Update Panel vs EO.CallBackPanel Options
Bentechsoft
Posted: Friday, April 3, 2009 10:26:19 AM
Groups: Member

Hi,

I'm currently trying to figure how I'm going to architecture my project. I have looked at your control suite and it is very appealing. I'm looking at using the menu, the dialog (windows), the threeview and many more of your components.

I'm still puzzled with the CallBacks and CallBack Panel. There are some feature I like in your CallBackPanels but there are many features I like about the ASP.NET UpdatePanel as Well. Can you tell me more about the two... Differences, advantages, compatibility, etc.

My first question would be: Are your controls fully compatible with ASP AJAX UpdatePanel?

My second question would be: What are the advantages of using EO.CallBackPanel over ASP.NET UpdatePanel.

Thanks
eo_support
Posted: Friday, April 3, 2009 10:49:30 AM
Groups: Administration

Hi,

Yes. Our controls fully support ASP.NET UpdatePanel.

ASP.NET UpdatePanel and our CallbackPanel are very similar both in functionalities and the way it works. The reason that we have a CallbackPanel is because our CallbackPanel was released much earlier than ASP.NET UpdatePanel. The biggest difference between them is ASP.NET UpdatePanel only works on ASP.NET 2.0 and above, while ours also support ASP.NET 1.1. So if you are working on an old project that still uses ASP.NET 1.1, then UpdatePanel is not an option.

We have a number of minor features that ASP.NET UpdatePanel does not have, for example, we can automatically disable the CallbackPanel contents when the callback is running. Our client side interface is also somewhat "easier". It is also slightly more efficient when using with our controls because they "know" each other. ASP.NET UpdatePanel on the other hand has a larger user base and also has better globalization support (error messages are translated into many languages).

Nevertheless, they two are very similar so it was not difficult for all of our controls to support both. You can use either one or even using them together in the same page. A lot of our old users would continue using our CallbackPanel because they started out that way. In your case, since you are starting a new project, so it may be better for you to start with ASP.NET UpdatePanel because there are already a lot of online resources about UpdatePanel.

Hope this helps.

Thanks!
Bentechsoft
Posted: Friday, April 3, 2009 11:36:49 AM

Thank you very much for your reply
Brad Coble
Posted: Monday, April 6, 2009 7:16:29 AM

Hi,

Just my 2 cents here but I switched from using the update panel to the call back panel. The reason was I believe the call back panel affords better control on the client side. If you are doing a lot on the client side (which you probably will be if using other of their controls) then I think the call back panel is the better option.

Brad
eo_support
Posted: Monday, April 6, 2009 9:28:04 AM
Groups: Administration

Hi Brad, Thank you very much for your input!