Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

Store metadata with AJAXUploader posted files? Options
Noah Heldman
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2007 3:23:00 PM
Groups: Member

First of all, your AJAXUploader product is exactly what I've been looking for. Excellent features, very good flexibility, extremely easy to use, and priced lower than other controls that are nowhere near as good.

There is one feature I would love to see... Often, I need to store metadata along with each uploaded file. For example, a user would enter a title and description, browse for a file, then upload. Would it be possible to store this additional metadata in the .info file you create, and include variables like the {posted_file_name} variable to display the title and description values in the PostedFileLabelFormat? Ideally, you would allow unlimited metadata fields per file, and let the developer define the variable names for each. However, just adding support for title, description, author, and maybe a couple other common fields would be a huge help.

Thank you so much for a great product!

Noah
eo_support
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2007 3:27:20 PM
Groups: Administration

Very interesting concept indeed. We will look into it and see what we can do. Thanks for your feedback!
Noah Heldman
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2007 3:34:52 PM
Groups: Member

Thank you for the quick follow-up... I was thinking some more, and realized that the concept of the <LayoutTemplate> could be applied to posted files as well.

You could use a similar approach to the <LayoutTemplate>, and add <PostedFilesTemplate> as a child (oh, the complexity of nested templates...), allowing access to the three existing variables, and any custom metadata variables.

Alternatively, you could have placeholders for the individual variables within the main LayoutTemplate. You probably know better than I do what would work given your architecture, but the more flexibility you can provide with the posted files data, the happier I will be. :)

I am recommend that the company I am consulting with purchase an enterprise license of your product.

Thanks again.
eo_support
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2007 4:05:28 PM
Groups: Administration

Hi Noah,

It can be fairly easy if you don't care about the checkbox. In that case you basically use whatever HTML scheme to build a list based on PostedFiles. That way the format/layout will be totally in your hands. In the future, we can offer a client side function for you to delete files. That way you can add your own checkbox implementation as well.

The bigger concern is how the uploader would associate each file with meta data --- both from UI point of view and data point of view. As for the data, we can probaly extend AJAXPostedFiles so that you can store whatever information with it. However how to integrate the uploader's file input with your meta-data input UI elements is still a question. If you have any ideas on that front, please let us know. Either way a screenshot of what you had in mind would be very helpful.

Thanks