Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

CallbackPanel Session Timeout using ASP.NET Membership Options
Troy
Posted: Monday, October 8, 2007 12:12:09 PM
Groups: Member

I searched for this and did not find this specific issue... so I am hoping I did not miss this on the forum.

I am using ASP.NET Membership services and I have a page that has a CallbackPanel and if I left that page open, come back an hour later and click something that causes a Postback, I receive an error about it could not do it due to a redirect, or something along that line and it says to use the Redirect method ... to get rid of the message, turn of the debug output... if you need a screenshot, I could get that for you... please let me know.

My question, I am pretty sure it is redirecting to the Membership login, or at least it should... but I get this error. Have you run across, or know what the expected behavior should be?
eo_support
Posted: Monday, October 8, 2007 5:53:15 PM
Groups: Administration

Hi Troy,

I am not aware of any way to avoid this. The root reason is because the server side did not act according to what the client expected it to do --- because ASP.NET redirected to another page, as you noticed.

We will soon post an update that would call ClientSideOnError in this case. You would then need to handle this event on the client side and handle the error gracefully.

Thanks
Troy
Posted: Friday, October 12, 2007 10:20:05 AM

eo_support wrote:
Hi Troy,

I am not aware of any way to avoid this. The root reason is because the server side did not act according to what the client expected it to do --- because ASP.NET redirected to another page, as you noticed.

We will soon post an update that would call ClientSideOnError in this case. You would then need to handle this event on the client side and handle the error gracefully.

Thanks

Any ETA on this update? Also, if an exception would be thrown, can that be handled with the <customErrors defaultRedirect="blah"/> defined in the web.config? Or what happens in the callbackpanel with that?
eo_support
Posted: Friday, October 12, 2007 10:37:49 AM

Hi Troy,

We just posted build .43 that should call ClientSideOnError when this occurs. It would be hard to get <customErrors> to work because our code never get a chance to run on the server side in this case. In order to make things happen during partial update, both server side and client side has to work together.

Thanks
Troy
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2007 9:36:24 AM

eo_support wrote:
Hi Troy,

Thanks

I was looking for some code samples in the docs, and failed to find it... not saying it is not there, just did not find it... could you point me to how to do this, or is there any code samples I could get?

Thank you a great deal!
Troy
eo_support
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2007 10:02:01 AM

Hi Troy,

It would be something like this:

Code: HTML/ASPX
<eo:CallbackPanel 
    runat="server" ClientSideOnError="your_error_handler" ....>
</eo:CallbackPanel>

Code: JavaScript
function your_error_handler(control, error, message)
{
   //This function is called when an error occurs, you can change it
   //to do whatever you'd like to handle the error gracefully
    window.alert(message);
}

Thanks