Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

Multi Row Tab Strip Options
Ryan Clark
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2007 1:24:02 PM
Groups: Member

I've got a tabstrip that I'm using on my site that works fine, but when the page loads the tabstrip acts unusally. It's a multi row tabstrip but when the page first loads, or you post back the page, the tab strip shows up breifly as 1 long row, not the shortened 2 rows. There are intermittent times when the tabstrip doesn't ever for the 2nd row.

Both of these issues are confusing for our viewers/users. The tabs all work when they appear on the page, but when strip shows as one row, it's overlaps other items on the page and looks very bad.

Ideas?
eo_support
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2007 1:29:39 PM
Groups: Administration

Hi Ryan,

Try to give the TabStrip and its container a fixed witdh and see if it helps. The TabStrip tries to get its real width at runtime and when that fails, it stops breaking into 2 rows. If giving fixed width still does not fix it, try it in a simple page with no external CSS files. That way you should be able to find out what triggered it.

If the problem persists, please make a reproducing sample for us and we will be happy to take a look.

Thanks
Ryan Clark
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2007 7:47:55 AM

I gave everything a fixed width. While it made the appearance a little cleaner, it didn't resolve my problem.

I going to try the simple page idea next, however, I'm not really sure what I should be looking for specifically. I can't really go on whether it works or not because my problem doesn't occur 100% of the time.

Is there something I can look at - page's html source code, etc... - that could help me indicate where my problem is?

Regards,

Ryan
eo_support
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2007 7:57:18 AM

Hi Ryan,

We still think what we have suggested in the previous post is the best approach:

Quote:
try it in a simple page with no external CSS files. That way you should be able to find out what triggered it.

Thanks
Ryan Clark
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2007 10:35:04 AM

Okay... so far so good. However, my original page doesn't show up incorrectly either. Which only means I can't reproduce the problem all the time.

Question: if stripping out all my CSS and other web controls and formatting fixes the problem, what is causing my problem?

I'm slowly building my page back to what the original is like to see if I can get it to break after adding a certain item. So far I have no problems. I'll continue down this path.
eo_support
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2007 11:22:53 AM

If stripping out all my CSS and other web controls and formatting fixes the problem, then that's only one step closer. Basically you need to narrow down step by sep until you find the triggering point. Once you know what triggered it, it might be very easy to workaround it or solve it.
Ryan Clark
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2007 1:13:08 PM

Finally! I recreated the whole friggin page with zero problems. the one thing that was different was that on my original page I could see the tab strip start out as a single row then snap back into place. It was very fast, but visible. On the new page it wouldn't do that. I had left out one line of code that made all the difference!

The guy who created the website had added a path to the "loose.dtd" file in the DOCTYPE declaration. I didn't add that at first because I overlooked it. Once I added that my tabstrip would start as a single row then snap back into place. Taking that out makes it sized where I want it all the time.

What a pain in the arse but at least I'm done with this issue. Thanks for your help.

Ryan
eo_support
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2007 1:24:35 PM

Cool! Thanks for sharing!
Ryan Clark
Posted: Friday, October 19, 2007 8:58:47 AM

I claimed victory just a little too quickly. Let's revisit this one more time...

The width of the tabstrip is no longer an issue. All good. However, at certain times the tabstrip only loads 1 of the 2 rows on the form. Refreshing the page or clicking a tab makes the other row appear. Can't find a rhyme or reason behind this.

Ideas?
eo_support
Posted: Friday, October 19, 2007 9:03:48 AM

Please create a reproducing (we understand it does not occur consistently) sample project for us, we will take a look as soon as we have that.
Ryan Clark
Posted: Friday, October 19, 2007 9:07:19 AM

Will do. What exactly do you need from me?