Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

Upgraded the EO file nothing works Options
Nick
Posted: Saturday, November 3, 2007 9:13:45 PM
Groups: Member

Just upgraded from EO.Web Controls Developer License (2007.1) to 2007.1.43. I get this compile error:

Error 2 The type or namespace name 'EO' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

I've got the dll and the dll.refresh and the .licx in the bin directory and the EO.Web.Runtime.AddLicense in the Application_Start in the Global.asax.cs file. What have I missed?

thanks....Brick wall
eo_support
Posted: Saturday, November 3, 2007 9:26:22 PM
Groups: Administration

Remove your reference to EO.Web.dll in your project and re-add it. The project remembers the old DLL version number and the compiler is still trying to find the old DLL.
Nick
Posted: Monday, November 5, 2007 1:01:31 PM

Followed your instructions. Didn't change anything.....Brick wall
eo_support
Posted: Monday, November 5, 2007 1:53:10 PM

Nick wrote:
Followed your instructions. Didn't change anything.....Brick wall

You might be referencing it in your web.config or somewhere else. It got to be a reference issue and you may want to have somebody around you who can easily troubleshoot on your machine to to help you out. Build .43 is posted a while ago and there is nothing wrong with the build itself. You can also try to create a new project and then drop any control into the form to verify that the build works just fine.
Nick
Posted: Monday, November 5, 2007 8:29:59 PM

I put the dll in the reference folder and that seemed to fix it. Do I still need the dll in the bin?
eo_support
Posted: Tuesday, November 6, 2007 5:34:41 AM

That's exactly what we told you in our first reply. You don't need to care about bin as long as reference is working correctly. Visual Studio should automatically copy the file for you.
Nick
Posted: Tuesday, November 6, 2007 1:43:04 PM

Still having some problems. I thought I upgraded but now I'm not sure. The date on the EO.Web.dll is 10/12/2007. I've uninstalled and reinstalled several times. I get this error in the designer:

Unable to initialize external designer module, please check the installation and verify that EO.Web.dll in your bin folder is the same as the installed one.

VS2005 didn't copy the dll into the bin folder. I took the .dll from the installation and dropped it in. Still get the above error. It's also added as a reference.

I did see a message that it was installing the sample app for .Net 1.1; I'm using .net 2. Will that have any effect on things.

What are all the other files in the install:
EO.Web.design.exe
EO.Web.Nlib.dll? Do I need to do anything with those?
eo_support
Posted: Tuesday, November 6, 2007 3:52:03 PM

Hi Nick,

You do need EO.Web.Design.exe and EO.Web.NLib.dll. They are for the designer.

There is really nothing special about this:

1. Make sure you have the correct DLL in your bin folder;
2. Make sure that DLL does not get copied over by anybody else, including Visual Studio. This is why you usually need to delete the .refresh file;

All in one word: make sure the version that your project is using is the same version you installed on your machine. Whenever issues like yours occur, it's a version mismatch. The installer installs the new DLL on your machine but does not change the DLL that your project uses. So in the end its a reference problem ---- and we do expect you solve problems like references by yourself. I am not sure if there is anything else we can tell you beyond that.

Thanks