Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

Filling in form field with a Swedish characters (or how to set encoding?) Options
eo_support
Posted: Friday, March 2, 2018 1:38:21 PM
Groups: Administration

Hi,

We have posted a new build for you to verify the fix. Please see your private message for the download location. Please take a look and let us know if it resolves the issue for you.

Thanks!
Maxim
Posted: Monday, March 5, 2018 1:20:32 AM
Groups: Member

Hello,

Thank you! I'll test soon and will get back with the results.
Maxim
Posted: Monday, March 5, 2018 5:40:38 AM

Hello,

First of all big thank you for this build! The Swedish letters are always shown now. They are even shown now if the PDF template was extracted by PhantomPDF to another file - another library I wrote you about fails with Swedish letters in such files - EO.Pdf inserts Swedish letters in any PDF I tested now, thank you again!

But I see there is an issue related to Swedish letters when EO.Pdf determines/calculates the size of the font (when it's AUTO in the template). Some Swedish texts get the right font size value, so they are shown, but some have too big value, so it's not shown completely in the PDF fields. Our clients print the PDF files so it's the issue.

I created another test project with another PDF template (with shorter fields, so the issue is visible) which inserts same 4 values into the fields with 1) Helvetica, 2) Courier, 3) Arial.

Fields with Arial font or fields with English text always get the text autosized perfectly. Fields with Swedish letters sometimes have the value autosized right and sometimes the text is too big (depends on the value and font).

For example for Helvetica font these 2 values get too big font size so they don't fit:
- Åsa Dägström 1 some English text here Depå utanför försäkring
- Åsa Dägström 2 some English text here Depå utanfor får utföra

And these 2 get the right font size so they fit:
- Åsa Dägström 2 some English text here Depå utanfor får utföra också
- Åsa Dägström 2 some English text here Depå utanfor

With Courier font these 2 values get too big font size so they don't fit:
- Åsa Dägström 1 some English text here Depå utanför försäkring
- Åsa Dägström 2 some English text here Depå utanfor får utföra också

Please see this image to see the issue: link to image
Or see this PDF file to see the issue in action: link to PDF file

I highlighted the text with RED which don't fit and with GREEN which do fit.

I've created another test project which fills this PDF template with these values by EO.Pdf (version 18.1.1.0) and have just sent to your support email.

Could you please have a look at the font size issue on some values with Swedish letters?
eo_support
Posted: Monday, March 5, 2018 2:12:33 PM

Thanks for the additional information and test project. We are looking into them now and will get back to you as soon as we have an update.
Maxim
Posted: Wednesday, March 7, 2018 3:49:23 AM

Hi,

Could you please update the status of the issue? One of our customers can't use the files generated by us because of this, so I'm asked time to time how is the progress with this.

Are you working on it?

Thanks,
Maxim
eo_support
Posted: Wednesday, March 7, 2018 10:39:38 AM

Hi,

We have already found the root cause of this issue but we are still testing. We should be able to have a new build for you this week.

Thanks!
Maxim
Posted: Wednesday, March 7, 2018 10:40:58 AM

Thank you very much for the update!
eo_support
Posted: Thursday, March 8, 2018 11:09:21 AM

Hi,

We have posted the new build that should fix this problem. Please download it from our download page and let us know how it goes.

Thanks!
Maxim
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2018 10:35:33 AM

Hello!

Thank you very much for this build! On my test files it passes all the possible tests! Simply awesome!

I'll test it on all files we generate on production tomorrow morning and will update this topic with the result.

Best regards,
Maxim
Maxim
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2018 5:53:03 AM

Hi,

Unfortunately I can't test it on all files we generate, because I run into another bug: your library throws a NullReferenceException now on Color and Font properties on some fields and if these fields got the value by the EO.Pdf, then saving fails.

I'm creating a separate topic with this issue and when it's fixed I'll be able to finish the test of Swedish characters and will update this topic.
eo_support
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2018 8:34:17 AM

Thanks for the update. We will look into those and follow up there.
Maxim
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2018 9:20:52 AM

Hi,

I found another problem with Swedish characters and the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. One our client uses it and they will 100% run into this issue, so please have a look into it.

If the document doesn't get some Swedish characters from the code behind (i.e. these Swedish characters are not inserted into the fields), then Adobe Acrobat Reader can't put these Swedish characters into the fields which were touched by EO.Pdf (i.e. if they got the value by EO.Pdf).

Have a look at the example.

This is the link to the generated PDF file, it has 4 fields: the link to the generated file
This is the link to the original PDF file: the link to the original

Code: C#
var field1Name = "Client name 1";
var field2Name = "Client name 2";
var field3Name = "Client name 3";

var value1 = "English text only";
var value2 = "English text only";
var value3 = "Åsa 2 English text Depå";

// Fill the file in with EO.Pdf

var pdf = new EO.Pdf.PdfDocument(file);

pdf.Fields[field1Name].Value = value1;
pdf.Fields[field2Name].Value = value2;
pdf.Fields[field3Name].Value = value3;

pdf.Save(filledInFile);

I set the value to 3 first fields only and the only Swedish characters which are inserted are "Å" and "å". Everything is shown fine. But then when you open the document in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC and try to paste OTHER Swedish characters into all 4 fields, then they are not shown in 3 first fields (because they got the value by EO.Pdf), but they are shown in the field #4.

See this image showing the issue: the link to the printscreen

I inserted "Godkänner också att får utföra Örder" into all 4 fields and you can see that first 3 fields miss letters "ä", "ö" and "Ö". The field #4 which didn't get any value gets the pasted value correctly. This happens only in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, in Google Chrome and Foxit Phantom PDF it's OK.

If the PDF is filled in with alternative PDF library (I'll email its code as well), then Adobe Acrobat Reader DC works fine with all 4 fields.

We can't tell our client not to use Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, because it's popular and well known application, so I guess you'd agree that it's the issue to look at.

I'll email you the files in 3-5 mins.

Best regards,
Maxim

PS: another thing I'd like to get changed (but it's up to you) is the max font which is auto calculated by your app for the big input field. I think it will look better if it's 10% less, but it's not a bug, just something I noticed comparing the files with values which are inserted by an alternative library and PDF viewer like Google Chrome PDF viewer, Foxit Phantom PDF, Adobe Acrobar Reader DC. See the printscreen to get what I mean: the link to the printscreen.
Maxim
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2018 2:50:55 AM

Hello,

Have you looked at it already? Any update?

Best regards,
Maxim
eo_support
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2018 3:17:08 PM

We have found the root of this problem. We will provide a new build to you as soon as possible.

Thanks for the feedback on the font size. We will leave that for now and focus on the missing character first.
Maxim
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2018 2:29:58 AM

Hello,

What's the status with the fix for this issue? Is the fix in development?

Best regards,
Maxim
eo_support
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2018 8:20:49 AM

Yes. We have already fixed this issue on our end. A new build should be out early next week.
Maxim
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2018 8:22:09 AM

Good to know. Thanks!
eo_support
Posted: Monday, April 2, 2018 1:51:41 PM

Hi,

This is just to let you know that the new build is posted. Please take a look and let us now how it goes.

Thanks!
Maxim
Posted: Tuesday, April 3, 2018 3:07:34 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the new build. I'll test soon and will get back with my results.
Maxim
Posted: Tuesday, April 3, 2018 3:41:52 AM

Hi,

You fixed the problem which had happened in Adobe Acrobat Reader (thanks for that), but broke what had worked in the previous version in Google Chrome.

Look at this image please: the link to the printscreen

If you generate the doc with the latest version of EO.Pdf and the previous one, then copy and paste this text for example "Godkänner också att får utföra Örder" in every field in Google Chrome, you'll see that there are bugs with spaces near the Swedish letters in the new text in the file generate with the latest version. The file generated with the previous version doesn't have the issue in Google Chrome.

Guys, please test more properly. I find these issues 5 mins after downloading the latest build and then have to wait days for a new build. You can find these issues yourself without letting your customer (me) testing after you.

Our company can't deliver PDF files without an issue with Swedish characters for more than a MONTH already and the clients are angry at us. Please look at this ASAP. You can send the link to the private build directly to me (as you did once) if you don't want to release new build too often without being sure that it fixes the issue.

Best regards,
Maxim