Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

OnScreen keyboard closing after 3 seconds with touchscreen Options
yvesm
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2019 11:33:32 AM
Groups: Member

Hi, with the latest Chromium version, on a touchscreen, when tapping a field on a web page, the keyboard displays for about 3 seconds then closes.

This only happens with the older onscreen keyboard - if you are running the latest Windows 10 you will need to add the following registry value and reboot.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\TabletTip\1.7
REG_DWORD
[DisableNewKeyboardExperience] = 1

I was able to recreate the problem with TabbedBrowser - the only change I made is setting AlwaysShowOnScreenKeyboardOnTouch to true.

This does not happen if I tap on a text field outside a web view.

Thank you
eo_support
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2019 2:58:58 PM
Groups: Administration

Hi,

We have been having a hard time trying to support AlwaysShowOnScreenKeyboardOnTouch because Microsoft does not want application to control the touch keyboard ---- it does not a public interface to control it and also changes frequently through Windows update. As a result we do not recommend you to use this property. This property will probably be removed in a future build.

Thanks!
yvesm
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2019 3:23:50 PM

So are you saying this issue is somewhat related to AlwaysShowOnScreenKeyboardOnTouch? I set this true because my only touchscreen computer has a physical keyboard. Do you think there will be a fix for the keyboard closing? Thank you.
eo_support
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2019 4:30:27 PM

No. We are saying that we will probably no longer investigate any issue related to touch keyboard as we do not have any mean to get it working reliably giving the fact that there is no supported public interface, and we plan to rollback the change we make in order to support AlwaysShowOnScreenKeyboardOnTouch since it does not always work. As such if you already know how to avoid the problem, then avoiding it might be the best option for you.
yvesm
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2019 4:50:42 PM

Unfortunately I don't know how to avoid the problem other then reverting to a previous version of EO.WebBrowser. Can you please clarify as to what you are going to rollback? Are you rolling back the change that is causing the problem I describe?
eo_support
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2019 4:58:29 PM

We will roll back the changes that we made to the Chromium browser engine code in order to support AlwaysShowOnScreenKeyboardOnTouch, so that this property will no longer be supported but the behavior of EO.WebBrowser will be consistent with Chromium.
Touchway
Posted: Thursday, March 28, 2019 9:09:31 AM

eo_support wrote:
We will roll back the changes that we made to the Chromium browser engine code in order to support AlwaysShowOnScreenKeyboardOnTouch, so that this property will no longer be supported but the behavior of EO.WebBrowser will be consistent with Chromium.

As an alternative "solution" I could imagine having an event on the WebView (ex. OnInputFocus() / OnInputBlur() or something like that) that gets triggered when user touches a textbox in HTML.

This could give us a way to show a custom onscreen- keyboard. We could then solve the problem ourselves. ;)
eo_support
Posted: Tuesday, April 2, 2019 10:23:18 AM

Touchway wrote:
As an alternative "solution" I could imagine having an event on the WebView (ex. OnInputFocus() / OnInputBlur() or something like that) that gets triggered when user touches a textbox in HTML.

This could give us a way to show a custom onscreen- keyboard. We could then solve the problem ourselves. ;)

We are looking into this. This might be a workable compromise.
eo_support
Posted: Friday, April 26, 2019 2:53:18 PM

Touchway wrote:

Hi,

We have posted a new build that removed AlwaysShowOnScreenKeyboardOnTouch property but added FocusedNodeChanged event. You can download the new build from the download page. Please take a look and let us know how it goes.

Thanks!
yvesm
Posted: Friday, May 3, 2019 9:39:52 AM

I started looking into implementing the same results I had with AlwaysShowOnScreenKeyboardOnTouch which displayed the keyboard exactly as a user would expect, that is when tapping on an editable field. I implemented the FocusedNodeChanged event

if ((e.Node != null) && (e.Node.TagName == "INPUT") && e.Node.IsEditable)
Utilities.ShowKeyboard();

where ShowKeyboard launches TabTip.exe

Is this sort what you had in mind when adding FocusedNodeChanged to make up for removing AlwaysShowOnScreenKeyboardOnTouch or am I completely on the wrong path?

Some of the issues with this include:

- when a page with an editable field is first loaded the keyboard displays without the user even tapping

- if a field already has focus and the user taps on it, it doesn't display the keyboard.

eo_support
Posted: Saturday, May 4, 2019 2:10:18 PM

Hi,

FocusedNodeChanged and AlwaysShowOnScreenKeyboardOnTouch are not a one for one exchange. Here is the background information:

1. Chromium browser engine will try to automatically display the on screen keyboard when an editable field is in focus. This works well most of the time but does not work on some systems;
2. We tried to add AlwaysShowOnScreenKeyboardOnTouch to "enhance" this but ran into even more problems;

This leads us to remove AlwaysShowOnScreenKeyboardOnTouch. In another word, we no longer officially support any on screen keyboard manipulation. As to the new FocusedNodeChanged event:

1. It is not meant to "make up" for AlwaysShowOnScreenKeyboardOnTouch or bring whatever feature lost through AlwaysShowOnScreenKeyboardOnTouch back. That feature has been removed because it does not work reliably on all systems.
2. Nevertheless, it does give you an opportunity to "fix" whatever problems you might have with the on screen keyboard. However that will be completely up to you. You may find a way to make it work on a specific system since the trouble we ran into was we could get it work on some system but not all systems.
3. Beside manipulating on screen keyboard, it may also be used for other purpose. For example, it can be used to enable/disable menu/toolbar items.

When you put these together, you are not on the wrong path to take advantage of the new FocusedNodeChanged event. But it would be wrong for you to expect FocusedNodeChanged is meant to make up for AlwaysShowOnScreenKeyboardOnTouch. It is not. It is one of thing we added that you may find helpful for your purpose but may also be used for other purposes. And you may need to have additional code to detect/fix up other scenarios (such as intercepting tapping when a field already has focus) in order for it to work perfectly for you. Those additional scenarios may not have anything to do with FocusedNodeChanged event at all.

Hope this clears it up a bit for you.

Thanks!
yvesm
Posted: Saturday, May 4, 2019 8:49:54 PM

Thank you for the clarification - great support as usual.