Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

Eset antivirus slows down webview performance Options
Roberto
Posted: Friday, May 31, 2019 11:27:53 AM
Groups: Member

Hi guys,
currently we are using ESET Endpoint Antivirus.

We noticed that there is a ESET feature called "Advanced Memory Scanner" that is part of the Host Intrusion Prevention System (HIPS) that, if active, slows down the webview when it is starting.

Please, can you please suggest a way to keep the same performance without disable (totally or partially) the "Advanced Memory Scanner"?

How to reproduce issue

1) use a PC with ESET antivirus with "Advanced Memory Scanner" enabled and active
2) run your WPF demo aplication "TabbedBrowser_CS"
3) from the top right hamburger menu, click on "Embedded Page Sample" <- You will notice that performances are not as expected

Any help is appreciated

Bye
eo_support
Posted: Friday, May 31, 2019 11:41:07 AM
Groups: Administration

You should contact ESET, not us for such issues. We have no control over another software slowing down our controls on your system.
Roberto
Posted: Friday, May 31, 2019 12:18:29 PM

I posted here my problem because, as Eset is a widely used antivirus, you may have already encountered this issue in the past.

Advanced Memory Scanner is a feature that "detects obfuscated threats in memory".
So i ask you if you can give a try with not obuscated dll (EO.Base.dll and EO.WebBrowser.dll I suppose) to verify if the performance issue is due to obfuscation.

Bye
eo_support
Posted: Friday, May 31, 2019 1:24:40 PM
Groups: Administration

I believe these are complicatedly different things. Our obfuscation is applied on .NET IL code and the only party that interprets the .NET IL is .NET runtime which would translate it into machine code. ESET's "detects obfuscated threads in memory" should be something else since they should not be interfering with .NET runtime directly.

As a general rule, for such issues you should contact the corresponding software vendor. It is technically not possible for us to "guess" how they slowed down our controls because they are a black box to us. Besides, even if we have correctly guessed out what they are doing now, they could change it in their next version and render our solution useless. To complicate the issue, ESET is just one of many other third party software out there. It is not possible for us to accommodate our code accordingly to each one of them.
Eurice
Posted: Monday, June 3, 2019 7:34:34 AM

Hey;

I remember facing issue with ESET/nod32 few years ago.

Search in the forum you might find something usefull, exemple :

https://www.essentialobjects.com/forum/postst10236p2_EOWebBrowser-control-shows-nothing.aspx

Regards
Roberto
Posted: Wednesday, June 5, 2019 6:29:26 AM

Hi Eurice, Thank You for your precious tip!
Reading the old 2017 post, i see there is hope to solve this issue!
I'll contact Eset technical support and I'll let You know