Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

System.Exception: ProcessLauncher failed:System.ArgumentException: Process with an Id of 6972 is not Options
KSystems
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2016 4:47:38 PM
Groups: Member

Hello,

We are currently facing an issue in production, and we are not exactly sure what is causing it. Our app crashes only on a certain laptop (2 identical laptops). Everything works everywhere else, this is the first time seeing this issue out of 3000 users. This is the exception:

************** Exception Text **************

System.Exception: ProcessLauncher failed:System.ArgumentException: Process with an Id of 6972 is not running.
at System.Diagnostics.Process.GetProcessById(Int32 processId, String machineName)
at System.Diagnostics.Process.GetProcessById(Int32 processId)
at EO.Internal.jm.a(String[] A_0, String A_1, String A_2, String A_3, String A_4)
at EO.Internal.jm.a(String A_0, Boolean A_1)
at EO.Internal.jm.a(String[] A_0, String A_1, String A_2, String A_3, String A_4)
at EO.Internal.aa2.a(String A_0, String A_1)
at EO.Internal.atb.a()
at EO.WebEngine.Engine.Start()
at EO.Internal.cp..ctor(WebView A_0)
at EO.WebBrowser.WebView.w()
at EO.WebBrowser.WebView.Create(IntPtr hWnd)
at EO.WebBrowser.WinForm.WebControl.a(Object A_0)

************** Exception Text **************

We are using a basic Windows Form app. Have you seen this before?

EO.WebBrowser version 15.3.16.2
Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit

Not much more info about the machine at the time.

Thanks for the help.

eo_support
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2016 4:56:07 PM
Groups: Administration

Hi,

Please check if they have any AntiVirus program on their system. Sometimes AntiVirus program incorrectly terminates our processes and can cause the above error.

Thanks!
KSystems
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2016 5:45:53 PM

Thanks for the quick reply, you guys have excellent support!

I have suspected their AntiVirus was the culprit, and we ran some tests on other machines with identical AntiVirus and Group Polices, and it doesn't have the crash issue. But perhaps the tests machines were not identical enough. At the moment they are not able to disable their AntiVirus for a full test (corporate hoops to jump through) but I will push this issue further up their ladder so we can test this theory.

I just wanted to be sure this wasn't some other known issue before I move forward.

Thanks.

eo_support
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2016 10:15:03 PM

Hi,

You may want to try to make a test build with the current build and see if it works. We have fixed a number of issues that are not related to Anti-Virus that can also cause similar issues, and we have also contacted a few Anti-Virus vendors who we have confirmed to have false alarm with our product and having them updated their definition database with our signature. So there might be a chance that the new build will resolve the issue for you.

Thanks!
KSystems
Posted: Tuesday, March 1, 2016 2:39:13 PM

Hey,

We are still facing this problem unfortunately. Still in the same limited environment. We have tested with the lasted build, still nothing. We were able to disable the anti-virus (in safe mode), and still same issue. Was not able to disable any Group Policies, not sure if they come into play here.

I was able to use GFlags.exe to enable "Silent Process Exit" for "rundll32.exe" and see what is killing the child processes, and it appears to be killed by the main process hosting the EO.WebBrowser. So its exiting itself with exit code 0, which is odd.

We really need help with this one, we have ran out of places to look.

How do we debug this?

eo_support
Posted: Tuesday, March 1, 2016 3:53:10 PM

Hi,

The group policy may have to do with it --- what we do is to create a child process, immediately open it (getting handles to the process), and when that fails you will get that error message. Usually this fails when the process immediately crashed or was killed, but it can also happen due to permission issues.

We are not Windows administration expert so we are not able to tell you exactly what policy you need to change. However if you can give remote access of your server to us, then we can run test code on it and that will help us narrow down exactly which code is failing and hopefully that will point you to the right direction as to how to fix it.

Thanks!
alexanderb
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2016 4:40:15 PM

One of our customers got the same issue today.
Are there any updates on this topic? I am wondering if you was able to understand why this happened and how to fix this, as there are no updates in this thread for 4 weeks.

We are about to ask customer to disable anti-virus, and also going to try latest EO WebBrowser version on their box. Not sure how high are chances that this will help.

Machine Specs of client:
Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.4 GHz
8GB RAM
Windows 7 64bit Professional SP1

EO WebBrowser version: 15.2.98.0

Thank you in advance,
Alexander
KSystems
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2016 7:49:17 PM

We have not resolved this issue yet either. I will be flying across the USA to get physical access to their network and machines to troubleshoot this issue once and for all next week.

So far we know it is isolated within one group that all use the same group policy and anti-virus, no other clients of ours have this issue. Supposedly the anti-virus was temporarily disabled to no affect, but I was not personally able to confirm that. I have a feeling it will come down to either group policies or their anti-virus.

EO.WebBrowser uses rundll32.exe for its child processes, and a lot of malware and other computer threats also like to use rundll32.exe, so I believe these systems are monitoring which .dlls are loaded with rundll32.exe, and the process is terminated if that .dll is not white listed.

I wanted to ask Essential Objects if there is a way to switch from using rundll32.exe to another executable. I know Chrome uses chrome.exe, and I wanted to know if we can use our own .exe somehow to prevent these cases. To some, using rundll32.exe is a hacky method, and it would be great to have our own dll host.

alexanderb, if I find a solution I will update this topic. It would be great if you could give an update as well after your tests.
eo_support
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2016 8:16:35 PM

Hi,

Yes. You can set this property to true:

http://www.essentialobjects.com/doc/eo.base.runtime.enablelargeaddressspace.aspx

This will switch EO from rundll32.exe to eowp.exe, which is a small exe file supplied and digitally signed by us. You can find this exe in the installation folder and you can copy it to your application's directory. Copying the exe to your application's directory is not strictly necessary since if it is not found there, we will automatically create one in your temp directory --- however that might trigger some monitor/AntiVirus in your system as well. As such we would recommend you to copy the file.

Please let us know if this resolves the issue for you.

Thanks!
KSystems
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2016 8:50:38 PM

Again, thank you very much for the quick reply eo_support. I will see if this resolves the issue.

I am wondering, is it possible for us to rename the "eowp.exe" to something custom, for example our company brand / product name? If not, would you be willing to add this customization in the future as a feature request? It would be nice for us to change this because we don't want our customer's IT department seeing this "eowp.exe" and wanting to block it or kill it because they are not sure what it is. Having the ability to customize the name would be great. I realize this could invalidate your digital signature...

Thanks!
eo_support
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2016 8:39:20 AM

Hi,

eowp.exe is built automatically in our build process and not only it's signed, but it also automatically takes the same version number as other DLLs. So they must match both in signature and version. We could create a custom build for you with your custom description and still sign it with our certificate, but then as soon as you update your DLL to another build, the exe will be invalid since the version number has changed. What we can do is to look into if there is a way to expose the core code of eowp.exe as a DLL and then you can create an exe of your own to call this DLL. That way you will be able to customize that exe in anyway you want and even sign it with your own certificate.

Thanks!
KSystems
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2016 1:54:48 PM

eo_support wrote:
eowp.exe is built automatically in our build process and not only it's signed, but it also automatically takes the same version number as other DLLs.

The issue with the process name changing to include the version is that some anti-virus and firewalls set to whitelist said process will not be able to recognize it whenever there is an update. Asking hundreds of clients to update their firewall and anti-virus any time we update is not an option.

It would be great if you could expose the core code of eowp.exe!
eo_support
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2016 2:57:34 PM

We will look into that. The reason that we version sync between the exe and the DLLs is that they must work together --- so whenever the DLL changes, the exe must match the version.
KSystems
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 4:32:47 PM

Even after changing the child process to use eowp.exe the issue still exists. However, I have new information...

We use a Windows Installer (.MSI) package to deploy our software, which requires elevated admin privileges to run. The final dialog in the installer gives the option to launch our application when completed. When this option is selected, and our process is started, it works as it should and no EO.WebBrowser crash occurs. We have found that the EO.WebBrowser CachePath is created, and all is well on the first run.

However, when starting our application directly after that first run, the issue we are discussing occurs even if ran with the exact same elevated admin privileges. We have found the EO.WebBrowser CachePath is never created, but other files and folders for our application are created in the same exact directory.

The questions are:
1) Does this "ProcessLauncher failed" exception take place BEFORE or AFTER CachePath is created?

2) If EO.WebBrowser is not able to create the CachePath directory and files will it crash? I've tried to test this by denying access, but can't get the error to happen.

3) Can we disable cookies and cache and run in memory for a test? If so what is the setting?

So far, I am leaning towards some type of file / dir permissions issue. I know the Windows Installer service is usually run as a "System" user, even if it was executed with "administrator" credentials, and this System user may have more privileges than any other user on this machine, so when the MSI starts the application it has no problem doing what it needs to do. Otherwise it fails with any other user. But I need to know more about EO.WebBrowser CachePath.

Thanks again for your help with this urgent issue.
eo_support
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 6:14:44 PM

Hi,

It's very hard to just speculate. If you can give us RDP access to the machine that has the problem, we can connect to it and try to debug on it. That should be the most effective way to get to the bottom of this. Please let us know if this is workable for you.

Thanks!
KSystems
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 6:40:00 PM

Hello, please check your PMs.
alexanderb
Posted: Wednesday, April 6, 2016 7:42:03 PM

Hi, sorry, we do not have any updates on our side - our customer having this issue is on vacation till the end of April, thus it will take long to get answers from him.
I would appreciate if you share any updates you have. Any luck debugging customer environment?
Thank you in advance!
eo_support
Posted: Wednesday, April 6, 2016 8:39:02 PM

alexanderb wrote:
Hi, sorry, we do not have any updates on our side - our customer having this issue is on vacation till the end of April, thus it will take long to get answers from him.
I would appreciate if you share any updates you have. Any luck debugging customer environment?
Thank you in advance!

No. We do not have any update on this. It will be pretty much a waste of time for everyone to try to shoot in the dark for this kind of issues. The most effective way is to get access to the customer's machine and then debug it from there.

Thanks
KSystems
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2016 4:23:43 PM

alexanderb, thanks to the help of eo_support we were able to narrow down the root cause of the problem. There was a hidden software installed on the machine used for data security which our customer did not tell us about, and was really well hidden for security reasons. This software was apparently injecting itself into all processes (including EO.WebBrowser child processes) and it was causing conflicts. If you would like to know the name of the software, please do Private Message me and I will give you the info. For security reasons I will avoid posting the name of the software. EO will be in contact with the company that provides this data security software, and hopefully they can work together to resolve compatibility issues. Good luck!
eo_support
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2016 4:27:02 PM

Thank you very much for the update!