Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Sign In | Register

System.Exception: ProcessLauncher failed:System.ArgumentException: Process with an Id of 6972 is not Options
KSystems
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 3:36:18 PM
Groups: Member

I have received a few direct messages asking for the name of the software that caused this problem, and I can no longer guarantee I will be monitoring my forum messages here. So I will just post it here.

The issue is/was caused by Digital Guardian. Their Windows agent (DGAgent.exe) will inject itself into EO.WebBrowser child processes and cause it to crash or exit itself.

https://digitalguardian.com/products/digital-guardian-agents/windows

There is an option to hide the DG software from all users. If hidden, you may not see any traces of it in the Registry, File System, Add/Remove Programs, Task Manager, nor running commands such as 'tasklist' or attempting to kill with 'taskkill'.

The only way we were able to detect it was by using Process Monitor. We had to set a filter to look for ProcessName = "DGAgent.exe". Then you can see all the activity.
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processmonitor.aspx

---

This is still an issue to this day. Digital Guardian and EO.WebBrowser can not coexist. I wish we could find a way for them to coexist, but that would have to happen between EO and DG.

According to my direct messages, more than 3 people have experienced this conflict. So its somewhat common.
eo_support
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 3:57:51 PM
Groups: Administration

Thanks for sharing the details. We are contacting Digital Guardian and see if they are willing to investigate. If we have any update we will post here.
alexanderb
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2018 1:55:10 PM

Please update on response your received from Digital Guardian. Is there is any updated version of EO.WebBrowser or Digital Guardian which can work together? We have another customer who has the same issue and requires urgent workaround for it.
eo_support
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2018 1:56:59 PM

Hi,

We have not been able to get anything back from them. However you can try to enable eowp.exe and see if it helps you resolving the problem:

https://www.essentialobjects.com/doc/common/eowp.aspx

Thanks!
alexanderb
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2018 2:41:17 PM

Thank you for the recommendation, let us try this.
alexanderb
Posted: Tuesday, May 1, 2018 4:36:04 PM

We tried this approach, but it did not help. We are using EO.WebBrowser 16.2.37.0. In order to switch to eowp.exe as a hosting process, we just put it to our application's folder and added "EO.Base.Runtime.EnableLargeAddressSpace = true;" to our code. When running the application locally, I see eowp.exe processes instantiated in Windows Task Manager when I start our application. Thus, I assume we are using the approach correctly.
But customer still has the same crash when he tries the build on his side. Additionally, the customer double-checked with their IT team and they do not have Digital Guardian installed. They just have Mcafee 8 antivirus, which is pretty popular and I do not think it could be a reason.

Do you have any other recommendations on what we could try to fix this?

Below is the stack from client's box:

at System.Diagnostics.Process.GetProcessById(Int32 processId, String machineName)
at System.Diagnostics.Process.GetProcessById(Int32 processId)
at EO.Internal.jj.a(Boolean& A_0, String[] A_1, String A_2, String A_3, String A_4, String A_5)
at EO.Internal.jj.a(Exception A_0, Boolean A_1)
at EO.Internal.jj.a(Boolean& A_0, String[] A_1, String A_2, String A_3, String A_4, String A_5)
at EO.Internal.jj.a(String[] A_0, String A_1, String A_2, String A_3, String A_4)
at EO.Internal.jj.o.c()
at EO.Internal.jj.o.f()
at EO.Internal.jj.o()
at EO.Internal.jj.a(String[] A_0, String A_1, String A_2, String A_3, String A_4)
at EO.Internal.aqe.a(String A_0, String A_1)
at EO.Internal.awg.e()
at EO.WebEngine.Engine.Start()
at EO.Internal.awg.c()
at EO.Internal.cm..ctor(WebView A_0)
at EO.WebBrowser.WebView.w()
at EO.WebBrowser.WebView.b(IntPtr A_0, Boolean A_1)
at EO.WebBrowser.WebView.Create(IntPtr hWnd)
at EO.WebBrowser.Wpf.WebControl.a.a(HandleRef A_0)
eo_support
Posted: Tuesday, May 1, 2018 4:50:22 PM

Have you tried the latest build? The eowp.exe in the latest build is implemented differently than early version and is less likely to raise false alarm.
alexanderb
Posted: Tuesday, May 1, 2018 8:24:34 PM

Hi, I prepared a tiny demo app that uses latest build - 18.1.56.0. Right now trying it on my local box.
I use "EO.Base.Runtime.EnableEOWP = true;" to use EOWP as a hosting process. The problem is that if I put EOWP.exe of the same version to the same folder where "EO.Base" is located, I am getting this error:
---
Can not find or automatically create eowp.exe. Please place this file in the same directory as EO.Base.dll and make sure they are the same version. This file is needed if your application does not have sufficient permission to read Windows system directory, or you have EO.Base.Runtime.EnableEOWP set to true.File 'D:\Shared\WebBrowserTest\WebBrowser5\eowp.exe' found but does not have the same version as EO.Base.dll
---

I double-checked, version of EO.Base.dll, EO.WebBrowser.dll, EO.WebBrowser.Wpf.dll, EO.WebEngine.dll and eowp.exe is the same: 18.1.56.0.
If I remove eowp.exe from this folder, it generates it automatically in "Temp" and in this case it works on my local box without issues.
Is it a known problem with incorrectly recognized version, or I am doing something wrong? Let me know if I should provide my sources/binaries.
eo_support
Posted: Tuesday, May 1, 2018 8:45:48 PM

You can use this method to automatically create eowp.exe in any directory you wish:

https://www.essentialobjects.com/doc/eo.base.runtime.initworkerprocessexecutable.aspx

Try that and if you still have problem, it should give you a more specific error message.

NRGSTREAM
Posted: Wednesday, May 2, 2018 5:48:19 PM

I just upgraded to 18.1.56.0 and I copy in eowp.exe during the build and I'm getting the same error. Deleting the file and removing the copy allows it to work with the temporary version but I'm concerned that will cause problems in locked down corporate environments that our clients have. I should be able to deploy eowp.exe
eo_support
Posted: Thursday, May 3, 2018 2:37:20 PM

Tymeware wrote:
I just upgraded to 18.1.56.0 and I copy in eowp.exe during the build and I'm getting the same error. Deleting the file and removing the copy allows it to work with the temporary version but I'm concerned that will cause problems in locked down corporate environments that our clients have. I should be able to deploy eowp.exe

We have confirmed this to be an issue with the eowp.exe in this build. We will provide a new build to you as soon as possible.
alexanderb
Posted: Thursday, May 3, 2018 6:52:31 PM

eo_support wrote:
Have you tried the latest build? The eowp.exe in the latest build is implemented differently than early version and is less likely to raise false alarm.

I created 2 demo WPF applications which use latest 18.1.56.0 build:
1. EO.Base.Runtime.EnableEOWP = false
2. EO.Base.Runtime.EnableEOWP = true (eowp.exe is generated in temp folder due to a bug mentioned above)

Both of these applications generated the same error on customer's box: "Failed to start image manager"
- Does it confirm that the reason is some security/antivirus software running on the box? Is there any way to understand what is this software?
- Any additional ideas on what can we try to make it work with current environment? Maybe you see a way on how to diagnose it better and made some fix on EO.WebBrowser side? We would be happy to buy a version that is agnostic to antiviruses.
- It looks like customer cannot disable antivirus or change its settings, but what is the general recommendation? If they could white-list some application, which exact file(s) should they white-list?

Really hope to get some recommendations which would help us to resolve the issue or provide customer with an acceptable workaround.
eo_support
Posted: Thursday, May 3, 2018 7:37:41 PM

Hi,

There is no 100% certain way of being AntiVirus software proof because there are numerous third party AntiVirus programs and each of them may use different methods/algorithm to evaluate threat --- and it changes between different versions of the same product as well. We can only try to avoid common false alarm scenarios. eowp.exe was primarily introduced for this purpose. Also later version of eowp.exe uses code that is less likely to cause false alarm than early version because it avoids certain Windows API calls that is more likely to trigger false arams.

Another thing added in newer eowp.exe is that it is digitally signed and our library will verify the digital signature before starting it. Having a digital signature from a known vendor can reduce the change of raising false alarms. However the eowp.exe shipped with build 18.1.56.0 is not properly signed. This issue will be addressed in our next build.

Usually it is not possible to tell exactly what caused the issue on your system without finding out the source first. As mentioned early, there are numerous third party software out there and each have their own rules. Even system without any AntiVirus software can have rules/policy setup by the system administrator that can cause certain application to fail. For example, you may have a rule on your system that prevents any exe file from being started from temp folder. In that case our code will fail when it tries to automatically create eowp.exe in the temp folder.

We would recommend you to wait for our next build first. Because the next build will fix the digital signature, it will allow you to distribute eowp.exe along with your application in your application folder (the missing digital signature issue is what caused this method not working in build 18.1.56.0). If you still have problems after that, we can send you additional diagnostic code to see if we can narrow it down for you.

Thanks!
alexanderb
Posted: Thursday, May 3, 2018 8:26:43 PM

Thanks for the detailed answer. Few more questions:
1. Is there any estimate on when next release is expected?
2. Does it make sense to downgrade to previous version, like 18.1.41 or earlier, where EOWP.exe is properly signed, but code that reduces probability of false-alarms is already applied?
eo_support
Posted: Friday, May 4, 2018 11:33:11 AM

Hi,

We have just posted a new build that has eowp.exe properly signed. Please see your private message for the download location. Please try to copy eowp.exe in your application directory and then set EnableEOWP to true to see if it resolves the issue for you.

Thanks!
alexanderb
Posted: Monday, May 7, 2018 6:51:38 PM

Hello. Tried 18.1.62 locally, problem with inability to start eowp.exe from local folder due to missing signature has gone. But, unfortunately, it still crashes on customer's box.
Error: Failed to start image manager
Stack:
at EO.Internal.jr.o.c()
at EO.Internal.jr.o.f()
at EO.Internal.jr.n()
at EO.Internal.jr.a(Boolean& A_0, bab[] A_1, String A_2, String A_3)
at EO.Internal.jr.a(bab[] A_0, String A_1, String A_2)
at EO.Internal.aql.a(String A_0, String A_1)
at EO.Internal.awd.b()
at EO.Internal.awd.a(WindowsIdentity A_0)
at EO.WebEngine.Engine.Start(WindowsIdentity user)
at EO.Internal.awd.d()
at EO.Internal.cr..ctor(WebView A_0)
at EO.WebBrowser.WebView.y()
at EO.WebBrowser.WebView.a(IntPtr A_0, Boolean A_1)
at EO.WebBrowser.WebView.Create(IntPtr hWnd)
at EO.Wpf.WebViewHost.a.a(HandleRef A_0)

Could you please share the diagnostic code you proposed before?
eo_support
Posted: Tuesday, May 8, 2018 10:58:33 AM

Hi,

Please see your private message for download location and instruction for the test code.

Thanks!
BenjaminSimpson1989
Posted: Thursday, December 27, 2018 7:38:12 PM

I'm getting the same error running version 18.0.70.0. It only happens occasionally. I have multiple applications running and using EO Browser and sometimes I get that error and nothing else will run. I then restart the PC and the applications and they resume working without the error. Do you think upgrading to the latest version may help with this issue?
eo_support
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2018 9:37:42 AM

BenjaminSimpson1989 wrote:
I'm getting the same error running version 18.0.70.0. It only happens occasionally. I have multiple applications running and using EO Browser and sometimes I get that error and nothing else will run. I then restart the PC and the applications and they resume working without the error. Do you think upgrading to the latest version may help with this issue?

No. This issue is usually caused by AntiVirus/security program and it will not be resolved just by upgrading to the latest version. You should try set EnableEOWP to true first and see if that resolves the issue for you.

If that does resolve the issue for you, you can then try to upgrade to the latest build. The difference between the latest build and your build is with the latest build you do not have to explicitly set EnableEOWP to true in code. You can simply copy eowp.exe in the same directory as your main exe file and that will have the same effect as setting EnableEOWP to true.
BenjaminSimpson1989
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2018 8:54:57 AM

I have already enabled EnableEOWP to true but didn't copy the eowp.exe to the main directory. Instead it's running eowp.18.0.70.0.exe in C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp that I didn't know existed. Should that matter?